I got to know about the numerous uses of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) when I was 10 years old. My mother and grandmother used it for a lot of different things ranging from cooking, health purposes, cleaning, garden care, hygiene, and much more.
My grandmother also used it in most of her natural remedies. My grandmother told me that ACV has been used as a medicine for centuries, and since 400BC, Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine used vinegar mixed with honey as an energizing tonic and a healing elixir. Apple Cider Vinegar is made by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid. Bacteria and yeast are added to the liquid to start the alcoholic fermentation process, and the sugars are turned into alcohol. In a second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria (acetobacter). This action leaves it rich in bioactive components such as acetic acid, gallic acid, catechin, epicatechin, caffeic acid, and more, giving it a potent antioxidant, antimicrobial, and many other beneficial properties. Below are a Comprehensive uses of Apple Cider Vinegar
- If you are still battling dandruff, apple cider vinegar is one of the best remedies to ward off dandruff. Most women spend a fortune battling dandruff without the knowledge that the true remedy for dandruff is sitting on their kitchen shelf. The solution is simple. Just mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray onto your hair after shampoo. Leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Repeat this process at least twice weekly and your dandruff will go away. This is due to the acidity in dandruff, which makes it hard for fungus that contributes to the growth of dandruff in the hair.
Soothe A Sore Throat
- This is my go-to remedy for a sore throat. I have given up on over the counter medications, now I simply rely on my remedies. To soothe a sore throat simply mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon cayenne pepper, and three teaspoons of organic honey in a glass of warm water and drink. I’m yet to find any cough syrup as potent as this. I have recommended this remedy to countless people and they all come back with positive feedback. The capsaicin in the cayenne paper helps to alleviate pain while the apple cider vinegar and honey have antibacterial properties.
- My grandmother recommends this remedy for most type 2 diabetic patients. The acetic acid present in vinegar lowers blood sugar by preventing the complete digestion of complex carbohydrates. This is accomplished by increasing the uptake of glucose by bodily tissues i.e. vinegar slows the absorption of carbohydrate into the blood or slows the breakdown of starches into sugars. Studies have found that taking vinegar at bedtime lowers blood sugar levels in people living with type 2 diabetes by up to 6 percent by the morning. Another study found that vinegar treatment helped improve insulin sensitivity in 19 percent of people living with type 2 diabetes, and 34 percent of those with pre-diabetes.
The question may arise, if vinegar was that effective, why then aren’t doctors prescribing it? I guess it’s because vinegar is so cheap and there’s no profit to be draw funding for large studies. If you want to control any type of diabetes, consume vinegar before meals and at bedtime.
- Apple cider vinegar plays a huge role in heart health. It contains an antioxidant known as chlorogenic acid, which has been shown to inhibit oxidation of LDL cholesterol and improve your overall health by preventing cardiovascular diseases. A particular study conducted on rats shows that apple cider vinegar lowered their cholesterol, while another study on rats lowered their blood pressure with apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar is a good remedy to have in your natural first aid kit. It works for a variety of skin inflammations, from bug bites to poison ivy to sunburn. All you need to do is apply it directly to the irritated area.
- Warts are those small, hard, benign growths on the skin, caused by a virus. The high level of acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar helps remedy warts. To do this, apply cider vinegar to a cotton swab, rub over the affected area, and leave it overnight.
- Looking to boost your overall energy level? Then why not try apple cider vinegar? It contains potassium and enzymes, which helps banish fatigue, and its amino helps prevent lactic acid build up in your body.
Repel Fleas On Your Pets
- I use this for my dog all the time and I can testify to its effectiveness. Combine equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water, pour into a spray can. and spray on your dog’s fur saturating the entire coat. Do this daily until there is no sign of fleas.
- It might sound a little bit counterintuitive to treat stomach acid with acid vinegar, but several studies suggest that apple cider vinegar works by correcting low acid, and hence reducing heartburn. Simply take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar followed by a glass of water.
Balance Your Digestive System
- Apple cider vinegar stimulates digestive juices that help your body to break down food. Also, taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with water before a meal can help to reduce gas.
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the well-known remedies for sinus congestion that works. It helps to break up and reduce mucous in your body, which helps to clear your sinuses.
Helps Get Rid of Candida
- Candida is a genus of yeast and is the most common cause of fungal infections. Apple cider vinegar is very effective in getting rid of candida yeasts. It is rich in natural enzymes that can regulate the presence of candida in the body and helps encourage the growth of healthy bacteria, which in turn minimizes the overgrowth of candida. To cure candida, simply take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water daily.
Clear Up Your Skin
- The best beauty products aren’t that expensive and apple cider vinegar is certainly one of them. It helps absorb excess oil and reduce fine lines. For smooth and supple skin apply a washcloth soaked in diluted apple cider vinegar to your face. Its protective acidic layer will make your skin glossy and supple. This works by restoring the proper pH levels of your skin, and beta-carotene helps to counter future skin damage. Also, to reduce pimples, acne, or age spots on the face, dab diluted apple cider vinegar on and leave it overnight.
- To get rid of mouth odour and whiten your teeth, gargle with a cup of diluted apple cider vinegar. It’s very important to dilute with water before swallowing because apple cider vinegar is very acidic. Putting it undiluted directly into your mouth can damage the tissues of your mouth and throat.
- Apple cider vinegar is an effective deodorant, more reliable than most store bought ones. It kills the odor causing bacteria. Simply dab a little under your arms for a refreshing start to the day.
- Apple cider vinegar is great for your hair. It helps boost hair shine by closing the hair cuticles, and it also removes unwanted product build-up from your hair. Regular use of apple cider vinegar will help revive your hair, leaving it soft and supple.
- After shampooing, pour the apple cider vinegar and water into a spray bottle and spray onto your hair. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing with warm water. The use of a conditioner afterwards is not needed, because the ACV will leave your hair feeling smooth and soft.
- To fade age spots within two weeks, begin by applying a mixture of 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of onion juice on the darkened area of the skin. My granny uses this remedy a lot. Try it and see for yourself!
- Apple cider vinegar works fairly well with asthma, as its acidity helps hydrochloric acid perform its job, which explains why apple cider vinegar relieves acid reflux and asthma. This remedy is the one my granny recommends for asthma patients.
- Dilute one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it in sips over about half an hour. If the wheezing does not subside, repeat the process. If you are still not relieved of your symptoms soak a cotton pad with apple cider vinegar and hold it against the insides of your wrist, while applying adequate pressure.
- For patients with arthritis, my granny always advises that they should mix 2 egg whites, ½ cup (125 ml) apple cider vinegar, and ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, and massage this concoction on the sore joint. Also, they can take a glass of diluted apple cider vinegar before a meal.
- Athlete’s foot is a common infection of the webs of the toes and soles of the feet. When caused by fungus it may spread to the palms, groin, and body. One of the remedies in my granny’s journal involves soaking your feet twice a day in an equal part of apple cider vinegar and water. Apple cider vinegar can be applied to the affected areas several times a day and before bedtime.
- To stop nose bleeding, have the victim lay his head back and then soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and place it in the bleeding nostril. This should help stop the bleeding.
- To lower your blood pressure, prepare a mixture of 1 tablespoon of honey and apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Drink this concoction twice daily. Doing this helps balance out the sodium levels in the body due to the high potassium values in both substances. Apple cider vinegar and honey also contain magnesium, a mineral that helps relax blood vessel walls thereby lowering high blood pressure.
- Apple cider vinegar is rich in minerals such as manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and silicon. These minerals help to sustain bone mass and fight osteoporosis. Start by taking apple cider vinegar diluted with water, and boost it with needed diets and minerals.
- To treat bruises dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in ½ cup of warm apple cider vinegar and apply it to the bruise as a compress.
- Apple cider vinegar helps to balance the skin’s pH factor (its acid/alkaline balance) As with all parts of the body, when there is a chemical balance, healing is supported. To heal any kind of burn, apply apple cider vinegar to the burn area. Doing this will help reduce the pain, disinfect, and supply nutrients required for healing. For large sunburn areas, prepare a vinegar bath by adding two cups of apple cider vinegar to a bathtub of warm water and soak in it for about 15 minutes. Also note that your skin will not burn on contact with vinegar, unless there’s an open wound, which is not common with cases of burn. You will only feel a tingling sensation without pain.
- Apple cider vinegar helps to alkalize the body, and when the body is in an alkaline state it becomes more effective at fighting viruses responsible for common cold and flu. My granny recommends drinking 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar diluted in half a cup of water several times a day. If you have a chest cold, there is a particular remedy in my granny’s journal that calls for soaking a piece of brown paper in vinegar, then sprinkling one side of it with black pepper. Place the peppered side of the paper on your chest, then cover with a towel and leave for about 20 minutes.
- Being constipated means your bowel movements are difficult or happen less often than normal. This can happen for various reasons like a change in your usual diet, eating a lot of dairy products, irritable bowel syndrome, not enough water, and fiber, or taking antacid medicine containing calcium or aluminium. There is no need to panic, because it happens to everyone from time to time. To remedy this naturally my granny suggests eating more fruits and vegetables and taking a daily tonic of diluted apple cider vinegar (2 or 3 teaspoons to 8 ounces of water).
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural remedy for diarrhea. This is due to pectin, a water soluble fiber in apple cider vinegar, which helps absorb water into the intestine and bulk up the stools. Also, the high pectin concentration in the vinegar soothes the irritated lining of the colon. To remedy diarrhea mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into an 8oz glass of water and drink three times daily.
- Apple cider vinegar changes the pH of the ear canal thereby creating an environment where bacteria and viruses cannot thrive, according to Dr. Robert O. Young and Shelley Redford Young, in their book, The pH Miracle.
Heat the vinegar and test on the inside of your wrist to ascertain the temperature. Place a few drops in the painful ear and cover with a piece of cotton. Lie with the painful ear facing up to allow the vinegar to penetrate.
- Eczema is a chronic skin disorder identified by skin inflammation of the epidermis, which results in rashes and skin scaling on different parts of the body. Vinegar contains lactic, acetic, and malic acids containing antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, which combat dry skin and skin infections, relieving inflammation, itchiness, and dryness. To help relieve the itching and dryness of eczema, apply a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water to the affected areas.
- To reduce the flow of a heavy period take a diluted glass of apple cider vinegar (3 teaspoons to 8 ounces of water) first thing in the morning.
- To help stop painful muscle cramp take 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with 8 ounces of water. Doing this helps the body absorb calcium and magnesium, which helps protect against painful leg cramps.
- A pregnant friend of mine told me that she stopped experiencing usual nausea and vomiting in the morning after she started drinking a glass of diluted apple cider vinegar. I recommended this remedy to a few more people and they all had positive results with it.
- To remedy sore muscles, mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with cayenne pepper. With the aid of a towel apply this to the sore muscle for about 5 minutes, and reapply if the need arises. If you feel the soreness all over your body; have a vinegar bath by adding 2 to 3 cups of vinegar into your bathtub filled with warm water .
- I do this a lot. To soften your clothes, add 1/3 cup of white vinegar to your laundry before the final rinse cycle. (Please only do this during the final rinse cycle as the water is filling, or already full. If you add it to your spin cycle – this might bleach your clothes and make it smell like vinegar.) As an alternative, you can add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser in the washing machine before starting a laundry cycle instead. Doing this keeps the clothes neat and odourless.
Clean Your Washing Machine
- This method also calls for baking soda. All you need to do is run a normal wash cycle (on hot) and place ½ baking soda and 2 cups of white vinegar in the machine, once it’s filled with water. Doing this breaks down the dirt particles and keeps the hoses nice and clean.
- Hiccups are an involuntary spasm of the diaphragm and respiratory organs, with a sudden closure of the glottis and a characteristic gulping sound (that’s the dictionary definition). To stop this, simply sip a glass of diluted apple cider vinegar, which will stop your hiccups at once.
Insect Bites and Stings
- To soothe insect bites, like mosquitoes, bee and wasp stings, apply undiluted apple cider vinegar to the affected area.
- While boiling eggs, adding vinegar prevents the breaking of the shells.
- To remedy an ulcer, I strongly suggest you use a cold-pressed vinegar made from organic apples. This ensures you are getting an ample supply of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes with each serving. Take 2 teaspoons of diluted apple cider vinegar daily. Apple cider vinegar can also be added to hot tea or sprinkled on to salads and mixed with honey.
Urinary Tract Infections
- To maintain the right pH balance in your urinary tract drink a daily tonic of diluted apple cider vinegar. When the urinary tract has the right pH value, it keeps bacteria and yeast infections at bay. Another alternative is to drink a juice of 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and cranberry. Cranberry juice is a well-known remedy for urinary infections because it prevents bacteria from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract.
- Apple cider vinegar is a well-known remedy for varicose veins. Start by soaking a cheesecloth into apple cider vinegar. Then tie the bandage around your thighs or lower legs. Leave the bandage on for about half an hour. Remove the bandage and wash your legs. Alternatively, apply it directly to your legs early in the morning and in the evening, and massage thoroughly. Before commencing this remedy, try it on a small part of your leg to see whether your skin is sensitive to it first.
- To remedy itching and shingles rashes, take a bath of warm water mixed with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Alternatively, you can apply undiluted apple cider vinegar directly to the rash.
Corn and Callus Treatment
- For corn and callus treatment, start by soaking the affected areas in apple cider vinegar, diluted with warm water. Follow this by rubbing the area briskly with a coarse towel, and then use a clean pumice stone to rub the affected areas, then apply apple cider vinegar and cover it with a bandage overnight. In the morning prepare a fresh apple cider vinegar soaked bandage for daytime use.
- Soaking beans in apple cider vinegar prior to cooking helps minimize gassing.
Night Sweats and Hot Flashes
- For menopausal women apple cider vinegar helps to eliminate hot flashes and night sweats. Start by taking diluted apple cider vinegar tonic morning and night.
Clean Barbecue Grill
- To clean your barbecue grill, spray a solution of apple cider vinegar and water on a warm grill. Leave it for about ten minutes. With the aid of a scouring pad soaked in the vinegar, scrub grill, as the dirt will loosen easily.
- Apple cider vinegar is known to be one of the strongest antibiotics ever. It kills viruses and helps restore the vagina’s pH level while preventing yeast fungi from thriving and infecting the vagina with further yeast infection. It helps to re-colonize the intestines and vagina with a friendly bacteria, which acts as a powerful guard to stop the bad bacteria (candida) from returning. Simply soak a clean cloth or cotton ball in diluted apple cider vinegar for two to three minutes. Place the cloth on the walls of your vagina or around your penis. Repeat regularly until the yeast infection is gone. Alternatively, you can mix a glass of apple cider vinegar in a glass of herbal tea or filtered water and drink regularly two to three times daily on an empty stomach to prevent yeast infection.
- Apple cider vinegar is a well-known remedy for sinuses. It contains vitamins B1, B2, A and E, Calcium, Potassium, and Magnesium. These vitamins help to clear sinus cavities and reduce allergy symptoms. When taken orally it helps break up mucus and clear the airways. To treat sinuses sip a glass of diluted apple cider vinegar throughout the day. Alternatively, add ½ – 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm filtered water, and stir properly. Wash your palms properly, pour some of the mixtures into it, and snort it up one nostril at a time, while using the other hand to plug the free nostril. Repeat on the other side too.
Also, you can mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water together. Heat the mixture for a few minutes then turn off the heat and inhale the steam by closing your mouth and eyes. Keep inhaling for a few more minutes to relive sinus infection.
- Although there is no medical proof for this, a research published in the Journal of Functional Foods show that participants who drank a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with 8 ounces of water prior to eating had lower blood glucose levels compared to participants who didn’t. It’s generally believed that apple cider vinegar also acts as an appetite suppressant and increases your body’s metabolic rate, by reducing water retention. Acetic acid, which is the main component in vinegar, is said to interfere with the body’s ability to digest starch, and this starch-blocking power can help you shed few pounds. Dr. Jarvis recommends you take 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar plus 1 glass of water before meals three times a day.