An abscessed tooth is a common term used to describe an infection at the root of a tooth or an infection that occurs between the gum and a tooth. This causes severe tooth decay and can be caused by bacteria that enters the tooth through a dental cavity, chip or crack and it spreads all the way down to the root tip. This can further cause severe pain and inflammation. The affected tooth loses its ability to combat infections which then reaches the pulp chamber of the tooth. When the pulp in the root tooth dies, this decreases the pain, which doesn’t mean the infection has healed, as it will continue to spread and destroy the tissues. If left untreated, it may spread to the bone that supports the tooth and cause severe life—threatening complications. Abscessed tooth can also be caused by gingivitis, severe tooth decay, poor dental hygiene, high sugar diet and sticky foods.
The symptom of abscessed tooth includes, throbbing and sharp toothache, pain when chewing food, change in taste senses, bad breath, swelling of the cheek, red and sore gums, difficulty in swallowing food, swollen lymph nodes under your jaw, fever, change in taste senses and general discomfort.
Below are the amazing home remedies for abscessed tooth
Water and Salt Rinse
This a well-known remedy that even your dentist will recommend. Salt has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can help reduce inflammation, prevent the growth of bacteria in the mouth and stop any further infections. You need:
- ½tsp of salt
- 1 glass of warm water
- Pour the salt to warm water and mix thoroughly. Use the mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly then spit out. Repeat this 3-4 time daily to clear infections and reduce discomfort and pain
The use of oil pulling as a remedy for tooth infection is as old as the hills. It is widely used in ancient Ayurveda practice and also in the treatment of abscessed tooth or painful gums. Oil pulling helps reduce the amount of bacteria and toxins from the mouth and also promotes the overall oral health. You need:
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Warm water
- Pour one teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil in your mouth and swishing the oil inside your mouth for about 15 minutes and spit the oil out. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Repeat this twice daily especially in the morning on an empty stomach for about a month
Garlic contains an active compound called allicin, which is a natural antibiotics that helps prevent the bacterial infections of abscess tooth. It is also has anti-inflammatory properties which give relief from swelling and pain. Material Needed
- Garlic Cloves 3-4
- Peel and wash the cloves properly, then crush them and squeeze out the juice, which releases the compound allicin, apply the juice to your abscess tooth. Repeat this process at least 2 times daily
- Alternatively eat 2-3 cloves of garlic (chew properly to release the allicin)
Wet Black Tea Bag Black tea bag contains antioxidant that helps fight infections and promote good oral health. It is highly helpful in dental abscesses by bringing the infection to the head and absorbing some of the toxins/pus. Materials needed
- Warm water
- Black tea bag
- Soak the black tea bag in warm water for a few minutes. Wring it out and place on the swollen area while holding or sucking on it. Leave it there for few hours or overnight and rinse your mouth with salt-water solution afterwards. Repeat once daily for a couple of weeks
Hydrogen Peroxide is a very good antimicrobial agent that can help get rid of tooth abscess. It has a disinfectant and antibacterial property that helps kill the bacteria that causes abscessed tooth, thereby reducing inflammation and pain. Materials Needed
- 2 tsp of Hydrogen peroxide
- 1 tsp of warm water
- Baking soda
- Cotton ball (optional)
- Mix 2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with 1 tables spoon of warm water. Use this mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly, and spit out
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected areas for a few minutes and rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Do this for a couple of weeks.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another very effective home remedy for abscessed tooth. It contains two beneficial acid called acetic acid and malic acid. Which are excellent antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. It also has disinfectant and inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and inflammation while disinfecting the area. For this I recommend you use the Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, Materials
- 1 table spoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pour apple cider vinegar in your mouth and swish it thoroughly in your mouth, leave it for a 5 minutes and spit it out. Rinse your mouth properly with warm water. Repeat this 2-4 times daily for a month
Turmeric is greatly used to reduce inflammation caused by abscessed tooth. It is rich in antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and also helps promotes oral health Materials:
- Warm water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste of it then apply the paste directly on the affect tooth. Allow it to sit for about 15minutes, then rinse off
- Alternatively, mix 14 teaspoon of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, apply the paste to affected area. Allow to sit for 15minute, then rinse off
Oregano oil contains antibacterial, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which helps clear the infections. When used on abscessed tooth numbs the area. Which makes the pain seize instantly. Oregano oil is widely used for abscessed tooth because it helps abscess drainage while killing the bacteria in the pus. It also boost immunity and helps fight tooth infections and speeds up healing process. The best product I have used for this is the NOW Foods Oregano Oil Enteric Materials Needed
- 2-3 drops off oregano oil
- Cotton swab
- Pour a few drops of oregano oil directly on the cotton swab. Apply the swab directly on the affected tooth and leave to stay for about 5 minutes.
- Alternatively prepare a mouth wash by mixing 3 to 5 drops of oregano with ¼ cup of warm water. Use the mixture to swish your mouth for about 5 minutes and spit out the mixture. Repeat this remedies for about 3 or 4 times daily
Peppermint is a potent remedy for abscessed tooth. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties helps reduce inflammation and relieve you of the pain associated with abscessed tooth. My recommendation is the Pure Body Naturals Undiluted Essential Peppermint Oil Materials Needed
- 2-4 drops of Peppermint oil
- Cotton swab
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil on the swab and apply directly on the affected area. Hold the swab against your tooth for a few minutes before letting go. Alternatively you can use your finger to gently apply the oil on the affected tooth. Repeat this process 3-4 times a day for at least a month.
Potato has antiseptic properties and it’s alkaline in nature with acidic properties. Its acidic property is said to helps slough off dead cells and other toxins. Materials
- Slice of raw potato
- Take the slice of raw potato and place it against affected areas. Leave it there to sit for 30 minutes or leave overnight. Then remove the potato. You should notice a bit of discolouration over it. This is due to the toxins pulled out of the infected tooth.
Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties which can heal injured tissues. It comes in herbs and tea form, both can be used to remedy abscessed tooth. Directions
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of chamomile tea daily
- To soothe swelling, make a poultice of chamomile and apply it topically over affected area several times a day
- Alternatively, wet the tea bag and hold it against the infected tooth.
Echinacea is widely considered a natural antibiotic and it helps relieve pain and inflammation caused by infections. Echinacea is available in tinctures and capsules. I recommend the Child Life Echinacea, Glass Bottle, Materials
- Echinacea herb
- 1 tsp tea bag
- Mix warm water with the herb or teabag. Leave it to steep for about 5 minutes, then strain the mixture. Use the mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Repeat this 2-3 times daily
To prevent abscessed tooth, below are a few tips to bear in mind
- Always brush your teeth twice daily.
- You can apply cold compress on your cheek near the affected area to get a pain relief.
- Make sure you always use tooth brush containing fluoride.
- Use an antimicrobial mouth wash to swish your mouth every morning after brushing your teeth.
- Endeavour to change your tooth brush every 3 to 4 months.
- Quit smoking and the use of tobacco.
- Chewing too much of gum should be avoided
- Avoid junk food and eats healthy foods.
- When suffering from tooth pain or infection avoid caffeine.