My grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes and taken to the hospital, the doctor prescribed loads of medication, which she bluntly refused to take, we tried everything possible to make her take her pills to no avail.
My grandmother believes so much in the holistic approach to health and lived several years without any sort of medications. She took it upon herself to control her own blood sugar level naturally. One particular day she asked me to accompany her to the nearest vegetable market, which I did gladly, that was the day I discovered this wonderful healing fruit called Bitter melon, which is capable of dramatically reduce your blood sugar level. She taught me how to prepare the Ampalaya tea or Bitter melon tea which is the diabetic natural remedy. I am going to work you through the whole process.
More research I conducted showed that bitter melon can also be used in the treatment breast cancer, leukemia, hemorrhage, liver problems, cholera, eye problems, menstrual pains, fungal infections, psoriasis, and jaundice, as well as to purify blood and improve blood circulation.
How we prepared our sun dried bitter melon tea for diabetes:
- Firstly you have to wash the fruit thoroughly to eliminate dirt
- Slice them up in circles with the seeds included, don’t make it too thin.
- Space the slices out so as to dry evenly. You can place them on a round flat native bamboo basket (Bilao).
- Place the basket (Bilao) directly under sunlight and keep a watchful eye because of rain.
- It can take up to 4 to 5 days to completely dry. You will know it is due when it gives off an aromatic smell.
- Let the sun-dried pieces cool overnight. Don’t refrigerate, less they become damp and at risk of spoilage.
- Now we are ready to mix up the portion, drop these dried pieces into boiling water and stir. This mixture can be served cold or hot. You can add honey or lemon to perk it up, but never add sugar.
Below are also some scientific findings about the health benefits of bitter melon
- Bitter melon is refuted to be highly beneficial in treating diabetes. It contains an insulin-like principle, plant insulin, found effective in lowering blood glucose.
- Bitter melon is more effective than a conventional drug in lowering elevated blood glucose, with no known side effects.
How does it affect diabetes?
- The fruit contains at least three active substances with anti-diabetic properties, including charantin, which has been confirmed to have a blood glucose-lowering effect, vicine and an insulin-like compound known as polypeptide-p.
- These substances either work individually or together to help reduce blood sugar levels.
- It is also known that bitter melon contains a lectin that reduces blood glucose concentrations by acting on peripheral tissues and suppressing appetite – similar to the effects of insulin in the brain.
- This lectin is thought to be a major factor behind the hypoglycemic effect that develops after eating bitter melon.
How Does Bitter Melon Work For Better Health?
First – It controls blood sugar by two-fold.
Its combined compounds control blood sugar or serve as mediator between the cells in the body and the insulin already produced in the pancreas. It must be noted that type II diabetics and most people with high blood glucose still produce insulin, but their bodies have become resistant to it.
Bitter melon blocks the formation of glucose in the bloodstream by breaking down the barriers that prevent body cells from using their natural insulin.
Second – This anti diabetic supplement has been known to increase production of beta cells by the pancreas, thus, improving the body’s ability to produce and release insulin.