An ear infection is basically when some unwanted bacteria gets into your ear and spoil things in there. It mostly affects the air-filled space behind your eardrum – this section contains tiny vibrating holes. Air infections are more common in children than adults. There is really no need to panic since it usually clears up on its own. All you need worry about is managing the pain involved. These pain can range from tugging at the ear, fluid coming out of your ear – maybe an occasional hearing difficulties. In some cases, I have seen patients complain of insomnia, acute headache, fever, vomiting, and diarrhea. I will always advise you attend to is as fast as possible, cause it may lead to damage of the ear drum. In most severe cases, deafness can occur. To fix this problem, you don’t need to venture too far. Some good old home remedies can really go a long way. Well, you just came to the right place. Below are some of my best home remedies for ear infection.
Ear Infection Remedies Using Garlic
If an ear infection is your problem garlic will sure go a long way. It’s rich in antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties. But be wise enough to use the fresh once – because they ‘re more potent than the dried and bottled garlic – which has undergone a process of heating, which destroys the active compounds. Its antiseptic compound is usually absorbed through the skin and your eardrum into your inner ear and surrounding tissues – while fighting and reducing the inflammation.
Garlic for Ear Infection
- 2 peels of Garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil (or sesame oil)
- Start by adding a few garlic cloves into mustard oil. heat the oil till the garlic cloves turns black. Now, put off the flame and let the oil cool down for a while. Make sure the oil is not too hot because you are going to be dropping a few into your ear. You really don’t want to burn your ears. Strain the oil and discard the burnt garlic cloves. It’s now time for the real action. Having a sterilized droppers will go a long way here. Just put few drop into the infected ear. You can use a spoon for this if you like.
Garlic for Ear Infection #2
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 Glass Water
- A pinch Salt
- 1 Clean thin cloth
- Start by adding the garlic cloves to water. Heat the water for about ten minutes in order to soften the garlic. Gently take out the garlic cloves from water and crush them to make a consistent paste. Add a small pinch of salt to the garlic paste. Make a poultice of the paste and place it on the affected ear for a few minutes. This should do a great job too.
Onion for ear infection
Onion is the nearest alternative to garlic. It will surprise you to know that the onion ready has been used for ages for an earache and ear infection. The vapor of the onion fights the infection while the warmth soothes the accompanied pain.
Onion Home Remedy for Ear Infection #1
- Get out the juice of onion. You can mash it up and collect the juice or juice with a juicer. Pour few drops into the infected ear. Do this twice daily for best results.
Onion Home Remedy for Ear Infection #2
- Start by cutting the onion into two halves. Put the cut onion into the microwave and roast it for about one minute. Don’t go overboard with the heating. The heating can also be done with your gas cooker or stove. Remove the heated onion from heat and wrap then into a cotton cloth, make sure you don’t use a synthetic cloth. Gently hold the cloth against the infected ear for about 15 minutes. Leave it on till the onion gets cold. Doing this will also prevent reoccurrence of the ear infection. I find this particular remedy very effective
Tea Tree Oil for Ear infection
There is really no dull moment with tea tree. It’s one of my best first aid kits. It is antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic. Since it’s an essential oil, I suggest you dilute if properly. Preferably us a carrier oil like almond or olive oil. Here is a link to my favourite tea tree oil
Tea Tree Oil Home Remedy for Ear Infection #1
- 3 drops of Tea tree oil
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Dropper
- Start by diluting the tea tree oil. You can do this by diluting it with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Heat the mixture a bit – to warm it up. Lie in a comfortable position. Place a towel under your head. With the aid of a dropper pour a few drops into your ear. Let it sit for about few minutes. Turn over to the other side with the affected ear below so that the extra mixture can drain out of your ear. Repeat this twice or thrice a day for maximum result. You should be able to see the result in about two days. Discontinue after 2 days.
Basil for Ear Infection
Basil!!! trust me when I say that herb is a miraculous herb. It contains highly effective anti-bacterial properties, that if dropped in any space, it cleans up all the micro-organisms in that space. If you really want to live in a bacteria-free environment plant basil around your home. If you have ever been to India – you will notice that it’s been planted in some homes. Also in most cases, it can also be used in relieving severe pain from an ear infection. Here is where to get basil leafs
Basil Home Remedy for Ear Infection #1
- 5 Fresh basil leafs
- Start by crushing the basil leaves to extract the juice. Apply a few drops into your ear. Alternatively, holy basil oil can be mixed coconut oil. Soak the cotton ball in the oil mixture and gently apply to the infected ear. Repeat this twice daily for best result.
Mullein Oil for ear infection
Another oil that does wonders when the case is ear infection is the mullein oil. It is often made by infusing mullein flower in a base oil like olive oil. Although another type exists, which is known as mullein essential oil – which basically comprises of volatile organic compounds found in mullein. I pretty convinced that mullein oil is an excellent oil for the treatment of earaches and infections – you can also combine it with garlic to make garlic mullein oil. It can also be used as a treatment for upper respiratory infections and coughs. Below is a simple recipe that can do wonders to ear infections. I strongly recommend it, if your kids ever suffer from any sort of ear infections.
Make Infused Mullein Oil for Ear Infection Remedy
- Handful of Dried Mullein
- 3 cloves of crushed Garlic
- A handful of St. John’s wort- handful of it (you can even take this powdered herb from 5-6 capsules but dried herbs are the best)
- 3 Calendula flowers (optional)
- 1/4 tsp of Vitamin E oil
- 1 Mason jar
- Olive oil
- Start by taking the clean mason jar and put mullein in this jar. Add the St. John’s Wort, Calendula flower and garlic cloves into the jar. Fill up the jar with olive oil. Make sure to leave about 1/2 inches space from above. You can now add vitamin E oil. Now, close the jar and let the herb soak into it. Leave it for about 2-4 weeks or longer. You really need to exercise for the infusion to happen. Make sure you shake the jar on a daily basis. Make sure the Mullein is always covered with olive oil. To do this make sure you add olive oil regularly. After about 4 – 6 weeks, strain the oil and store it in another bottle. When you are ready to use the oil, fill it in a small bottle with a dropper. Pour 3-5 drop in your infected ear and let the oil rest there for about 15 minutes, Then wipe off gently with a cotton ball.