Kidney stones are caused by the accumulations of mineral salts, which lodge anywhere along the course of the urinary tract. These stones can sometimes form in the bladder or kidney. Causing severe pain. Our urine is often saturated with uric acid, phosphates, and calcium oxalate but due to the secretion of various protective compounds and natural mechanisms that helps control the PH of our urine, these substance remain suspended in solution. Sometime when the protective compound are overwhelmed, these substances may crystallize and begin to clump together and eventually forming large stones enough to restrict urinary flow.
Some symptoms includes:
- Severe pain radiating from the upper back to the lower abdomen and groin
- Profuse sweating,
- Frequent urination
- Blood in the urine
- Odour or cloudy urine
- Absence of urine formation
- Nausea and vomiting
Kidney stone is more common in white men than black men. There are four kinds of kidney stone: Calcium stone, uric acid stone, struvite stone and cysteine stone. The majority of kidney stone are calcium stones. High blood calcium can lead to hypercalciuria, which is the excessive absorption of calcium from the intestine. There by increasing the level of calcium in the urine.
Kidney stone usually cause no symptoms until they are dislodged. A dislodge kidney stone can cause severe pain in the flank or kidney area.
- Reduce consumption of refined carbohydrates, foods rich in white sugar and flour
- Reduce alcohol consumption and increase fiber intake
- Reduce the intake of lots of saturated fats
- Lessen the consumption on animal protein foods.
- Avoid foods high in oxalate content: Oxalate when combine with calcium and iron form crystals that may be excreted in urine or form larger kidney stones that can block the kidney tubules. Examples of foods high in oxalate are peanuts, almonds, wheat bran, spinach, black tea, cashews, hazelnuts, soybeans, soy milk, instant tea, rhubarb, beets, sweet potatoes, most dried beans and chocolate.
- People with kidney stone are advised to lessen foods with so much salt and sodium
I also strongly recommend you drink a lot of water. Because inadequate fluid intake is a major factor in allowing crystals to accumulate in the urine. I suggest you take 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. It will also make your urine become clear, which is a good sign.
Tip: Drinking a glass of water before bed, during the night when you’re still awake and before going back to bed
Below are some Home Remedies for Kidney Stones:
Watermelon is one of the best fruit for kidney stones. Due to its high amount of water content it will help you urinate easier, there by flushing the kidney stone. Also the high potassium content in watermelon is believed to help in dissolving kidney stones. Eating watermelon on regular basics will help prevent and treat kidney stone. Below is a simple juice for kidney stone:
Kidney Stone Juice
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon
- 4 slices of watermelon
- 4 ice cubes
Aloe Vera contains aloemannan, which slows rate of crystal formation. Take ¼ cup daily. Please do not use for more than two weeks at a time. Aloe Vera prevents deposition of free radicals and helps prevent formation of kidney stones. Regular consumption or aloe Vera juice helps in reducing kidney stones.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider vinegar is very powerful in dissolving kidney stones. And also has a great alkalinizing effect on the blood and urine
- Mix two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey in one cup of warm water.
- Drink this a few times a day.
Lemon Juice and Olive Oil:
The citric acid present in lemon helps break down calcium stones and hinder further growth. These particular remedy have recorded remarkable growth in the treatment of gallbladder stones but can also be used to treat kidney stones.
- Add equal amount of fresh lemon juice and olive oil, mix together and drink
- After which u take plenty water.
- Do this two to three times a day, up to three days. You need not continue this remedy if you pass the stones in a single dose.
If you have a family history of kidneys stone, I suggest you take calcium supplements with meals. When calcium rich foods with oxalates are consumed they bind together and are expelled in the stool, which lessens your risk of kidney stone. Remember this is only applicable for people with kidney stone history in their families.
Pomegranate juice are high in antioxidant and help protect you against health risks, such as kidney stones, blood cholesterol and hypertension. They are rich in polyphenols, which are antioxidant that helps protect the body from free radicals which makes it very good for your kidney. The seeds and juice of pomegranates have astringent properties that can help in the treatment of kidney stones. For optimum result drink freshly made pomegranate daily. Another great option is to grind one tablespoon of pomegranate seed into fine paste. Consume the paste with a cup of horse gram once daily. This remedy goes a long way to dissolve kidney stone
- Try to eat one whole pomegranate or drink one glass of freshly squeezed pomegranate juice daily. You can mix pomegranate in a fruit salad also.
- Another option is to grind one tablespoon of pomegranate seeds into a fine paste. Eat this paste along with a cup of horse gram soup once daily. This remedy will help dissolve the stones. You can find horse gram in Indian markets.
Nettle tea is well known to help remedy kidney stone, because it acts like a kidney flushing agent. When treating kidney stone, herbalists generally recommend two cups of infused nettle tea daily for ten to twelve weeks or longer.
For best effect try a cup of nettle tea daily for a period of six weeks. After which you can make it three cups a week as long as you like. Nettle tea should not be taken after 5 pm due to its diuretic effect, which can interfere with a good night sleep. The diuretic effect helps flush the kidneys and the digestive system. Below is a good source to get one
Nettle leafs helps maintain the flow of water through the kidneys and bladder, thus helps promote easy urination. Nettle leafs also help crystals from forming into stones and keeps bacteria away.
How to make a Nettle Infusion
Nettle infusion is the most potent water-based herbal preparation. The infusion should be steeped overnight.
- Use organic stinging nettles
- Put one heaped tablespoon of dried nettle in a quart mason jar
- Pour hot water over the nettles leaves
- Close the jar and leave till day break
- Then strain out the leaves, the mixture should appear deep green in colour
- Add 1/4 cup lemon juice (optional)
- Sweeten with honey (optional)
- Drink two to three cups of nettle tea daily for at least 3 weeks
Research has shown that taking basil tea can greatly enhance the general well-being of your kidney. Basil also helps induce stone expulsion from the urinary tract and its well regarded as a kidney tonic.
- Use organic basil
- Pour hot water into a mason jar and soak the leaves
- Close the jar and leave it to stay over night
- Strain out the leaves
- Mix with honey
- Take two tea spoon
Soak leaves of basil in water and leave overnight. Extract juice from them and add honey to it and drink for better results. One teaspoon of the juice is a right dosage. Eating basil leaves raw after washing them well is also helpful.
Wheatgrass is highly potent in the treatment of kidney stones and other diseases naturally. Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with wheatgrass juice and basil leaves.
Wheatgrass juice is highly effective in treating kidney stones and other kidney diseases naturally. You can also have a glass of wheatgrass juice mixed with one teaspoon each of lemon juice and juice extracted from basil leaves.Take it two to three times a day. Wheatgrass juice is a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, amino acids, chlorophyll, and B vitamins.
Celery is known for its diuretic properties which helps flush out toxins and depositions from the kidney and urinary tract. A cup of celery juice helps clear toxins that contribute to the formation of kidney stones. Regular intake of celery juice prevents kidney stones from forming. The seeds are also used in the treatment of kidney stone. Drinking the herbal tea made with celery seeds can help treat kidney stone resulting from uric acid.
Tomatoes is high in lycopene, which is a potent antioxidant which is known to prevent serum lipid oxidation and formations of kidney stones. To use this remedy, make a juice of tomatoes and add a little pepper and salt to it.
A kidney bean is high in fiber and is effective in the treatment of kidney and bladder problems.
- Detach the beans from the pod
- Put the beans in hot water.
- Simmer the water in low flame for hours until the beans become soft and tender.
- Strain the liquid out
- Drink the liquid from the beans several times thorough out the day to relieve kidney stone pain.
- NB: The liquid should not be kept for more than 24 hours so as the maintain its therapeutic value
High intake of fiber foods is well recommended to people suffering from kidney stone. This makes it a perfect snack for kidney stone. The fiber will help help rid of the excess calcium in the urine, thereby cutting down the risk of kidney stones.
- Pour two cups of Bran Flakes into a bowl
- Eat in the morning, to reduce risk of kidney stone
Others: In general, foods with high antioxidant properties are helpful in treatment of kidney stones. Some of the food with highest antioxidant properties include artichoke, Grapes, black bean dried, black plum, blackberry, blueberry, dried red kidney bean, gala apple, granny smith apple, sweet cherry, pecan, pinto bean, plum, prune, raspberry, Onions, red apple, and Coconut water.