I love home remedies, most times, I spend hours researching for ways to make life easier. I dream of the day I will have all the home remedies written on this blog. The more people fine solution to their problems, the happier I become. This piece covers all remedies for stretch mark I discovered. Stretch marks are the pink, red, purple linear streaks that often appear on the abdomen, breast, upper arms, buttocks or thighs. They usually begin as flat lines and over time they appear as slightly depressed white streak. Stretch marks can make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about your appearance. The appearance is similar to changes seen in the surface of rubber balloons that have been overinflated. They are particularly common among pregnant women, especially during the latter half of pregnancy.
Home Remedies to Remove Stretch Marks
Potato slices and juice to Remove Stretch Marks:
Potato is believed to help remedy stretch marks. The juice of raw potatoes is said to have a high level of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin-B complex, Vitamin-C, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc and Phosphorous, that helps speed up the restoration of new skin cells when applied topically. It also contains fatty acids and wide variety of phytochemicals like carotenoid and polyphenols. Potato juice is also capable of stimulating collagen and elastin synthesis, it can therefore effectively restore skin cells, while fading away stretch marks
- 1 medium sized Potato
- Lukewarm water
- Cut the potato into slices. Take the slice and rub it thoroughly over the stretch mark. Leave it to sit for 10 minutes. Then rinse off with lukewarm water
Lemon juice is a well-known remedy for improving the appearance of stretch mark. Due to its acidity it helps remove dead skin cells while developing new cells. Lemon juice also contains enough moisture to help hydrate the skin
- Warm water
- Cocoa butter
- Mix lemon juice with exfoliants such as micro-beads or crushed seed shells and scrub it on the affected area.
- Slice the lemon juice open, squeeze the juice into a bowl and run the lemon juice on the stretch marks in a circular motion. Allow the lemon to sit on the skin for about 15 minutes before washing it out.
- Alternatively you can combine lemon juice with an emollient such cocoa butter. Just place half cup of cocoa butter in a bowl and add 2 tbsp. of lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and apply it to the stretch marks in a circular motion.
- Repeat this therapy for over a long period of time, before you can actually begin to see results
Egg white is a rich source of amino acids, collagen and vitamin A, which is very effective in the treatment of scars, burn and stretch marks
Ways to use Egg White for Stretch Marks
- Whip the white of two eggs gently with a fork. Clean the affected area with warn water and then apply a thick layer of egg white on the stretch mark. Allow the egg white to dry completely on your skin. Then rinse off with warm water. Finally, massage the area with olive oil.
Aloe Vera is widely used in many home remedies. The plant has been shown in numerous studies to help heal minor wounds eight days faster than standard dressing. It’s also an antibacterial and contains vitamins and minerals that can ease eczema and psoriasis flare-ups. Its healing and soothing properties can be used to get rid of stretch marks.
Ways to use Aloe Vera or Stretch Marks
- Remove the outer skin of the aloe vera. Apply the sticky gel on your stretch marks. Let it sit for about two hours. Then wash it off with warm water
Castor oil is a vegetable oil obtained by pressing the seeds of the castor oil plant. The medicinal and therapeutic benefits of the oil makes it a favourite for home remedies and ayurvedic practise. It contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and it is used as a natural remedy for acne, stretch marks, sun burn, dry skin and also infections like wart, boils, athlete’s foot and chronic itching. Castor oil stimulates the production of collagen and elastin. Elastin is a highly elastic protein in connective tissue and allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting.
Ways to use Castor Oil
- Apply a generous amount of castor oil to the stretch marks and gently massage the area in a circular motion for at least 5 minutes.
- Apply some heat to the affected area by wrapping the area with a thin cotton cloth, then gently press a hot water bottle or heating pad to it.
- Repeat this process daily for a minimum of one month, to see results
Apricot are those beautiful coloured fruits full of beta-carotene, vitamins and antioxidant. Apricot can be used as a scrub for rapid removal of stretch marks from the skin.
Ways to use Apricot
- Cut the apricot open and remove the seed from it. Crush the fruit to get their paste. Apply the paste to your stretch marks. Leave to sit for about 15-20 minutes. Wash off with warm water, repeat this daily for a month
Alfalfa leaf contains essential vitamins including the entire spectrum of B-vitamins, A, D, E and K. which helps nourish the skin. Alfalfa Leaf is a source of iron, niacin, biotin, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium. Alfalfa is a source of chlorophyll. It also helps detoxify the urinary tract, purifies the blood and liver.
Ways to use Alfalfa
- Form a paste of alfalfa by mixing up with chamomile oil. Massage the paste into the affected area two or three times daily. Repeat this daily for a few weeks to see great improvement
Coco butter helps nourish your skin and reduce the appearance of stretch marks. It is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin E. The antioxidants and emollient properties of cocoa butter protect skin by limiting the production of free radicals which can damage skin cells and also penetrates deep into the skin repairing it and removing stretch marks. Shear Butter aids coca butter in repairing the skin further, Shear butter melts at body temperature, which can be absorbed by the skin fast. Vitamin E in creams is a powerful antioxidant which penetrates through the layers of your skin while assisting natural wound healing process and removing scars.
- 2 tsp Cocoa Butter
- 2 tsp Shea Butter
- 1 tsp Vitamin E oil
Ways to use Shea butter and cocoa butter
- Melt the Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter together
- Pour in the vitamin E to the melted butter
- Mix up thoroughly
- Store in a container (The cream will solidify when left to cool)
- Apply the cream at least twice daily after bath
- Alternatively you can create a blend of cocoa butter, one tablespoon of wheat germ oil, two teaspoons of grated beeswax and one teaspoon of apricot kernel oil and vitamin E oil. Heat the mixture until the beeswax melts. Apply this mixture on your stretch marks two to three times a day. This will hydrate and smoothen your skin
Natural white sugar is a great source of glycolic acid, an alpha hydroxic acid that stimulates the skin and helps generate younger and fresher looking skin. It can be used to exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells. Alpha hydroxic acids are used in the treatment of dry skin.
- Mix one tablespoon of raw sugar with one table of lemon juice and almond oil. Mix thoroughly and apply to the stretch marks and other skin areas
- Repeat usage after shower each night for at least one month. Your stretch mark will become lighter.
The various benefits of olive oil are unrivalled and researchers reveals more and more benefits every day. Olive oil are rich in vitamin A and E. Vitamin E helps to neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals that damage collagen, which is the major reason for wrinkles. While Vitamin A thickens and stimulates the dermis and reduces wrinkles and fine line by increasing blood flow to the surface of the skin. Olive oil is also widely used as a solution to stretch mark during pregnancy. By massaging the area with luke warm olive oil. This helps speed up the blood circulation over the area. Leave the oil on the skin for at least one hour so that the skin can absorb the vitamin of the oil properly. The idea here is that your skin will soften, and when it softens, it expands, and, in general, goes with the punches more easily. This remedy should be followed of at least one month, for an effective difference.
Keeping your body hydrated always helps protect your body from several kinds of illness and also aids in detoxification and restoring skin elasticity. To keep the body hydrated, drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Drinking water regularly can help stretch mark fade but may not completely remove it.