Abdominal obesity, also known as beer belly, beer gut, pot belly, spare tyre or clinically, as central obesity, is when excessive abdominal fat around the stomach and abdomen has built up to the extent that it has a negative impact on health.
Abdominal Fat has become an issue for so many of us and most people are searching for a quick fix to remedy this situation. Abdominal fat can not only make you look less attractive but can also lead to several degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, blood pressure, diabetes and dementia disease as well as other metabolic and vascular diseases. Many has fallen prey to several fake promises by various organisations claiming they have a quick fix to this problem. Our uber-unhealthy lifestyle and choices can greatly lead to this problem, some of which are stress, alcoholism, menopause, unhealthy eating habits, improper digestion, slow metabolic rate and genetics. Consuming fat burning foods and spices will sure help remedy this situation
The Amazing Herbal Remedies for Abdominal Fat
Lemon Juice to Reduce Belly Fat
A glass of lemon contains less than 25 calories and it is a rich source of calcium, potassium, vitamin c and peptic fiber. Warn lemon water is the perfect “good morning drink” which helps eliminate waste product from the body. Lemon also rids your body of toxins and flushes out unnecessary fat. It futher prevents problems of constipation and diarrhea, by ensuring smooth bowel functions.
You Need This
- 1 Lemon
- 1 glass of warm water
- First thing in the morning upon waking up, squeeze lemon juice into a glass of lukewarm water and drink it on an empty stomach and do not take any solid food for the next 45 minutes,
Cucumber aids in weight loss and digestion due to its high water content and its two major trace minerals known as sulfur and silicon, which makes cucumber highly ideal for those trying to lose belly fat. The high water content and dietary fiber helps it flush out toxins from the digestive system and prevents bloating. To increase its effectiveness in burning abdominal fat it’s advisable to add lemon to cucumber, which becomes a superfood for burning fat.
Ways to consume cucumber to reduce belly fat
- Prepare a cucumber salad with lemon juice, pepper, salt, vinegar and some other herbs
- Eat cucumber regularly, at least 2 pieces daily
- Add slices of cucumber to your daily meals
Cranberry juice can help you burn belly fat by boosting your metabolism. They are high in organic acid, which acts as digestive enzymes. These enzymes helps flush out fats deposits that get stuck in the lymphatics. Cranberry juice also helps in the prevention of various infection of the bladder and helps increase the overall energy level of the body.
- Cranberry juice
- 7 ounce of water
- Mix one once of pure cranberry juice in 7 ounces of water, drink this mixture very early in the morning in an empty stomach. Alternatively you can add lemon juice to the mixture to speed up the fat burning process
Sometimes bloated belly can be as a result of water retention and dandelion tea is the best remedy for this. Dandelion is a natural diuretic, which increases your urine output and improves your liver output. It flushed the belly of excess water and toxins which causes pot belly. When combined with other fat reducing herbs and spices can output incredibly results.
- 1 tablespoon of dandelion root or powder
- ½ Cinnamon bark
- 1 Cardamom seeds
- 4 Mint leaves
- 2 Piece Fresh Ginger
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 teaspoon Honey
- Combine all the ingredients together, except the honey. Place all in a saucepan and bring to boil for about 10 minutes, strain the liquid out (tea) and add honey to the tea. You can now drink the mixture to blast your belly fat. I recommended you drink this tea 2 – 4 times daily for maximum result. Please note that the tea should be avoided if you are suffering from gall bladder issues or blocked bile ducts.
Omega-3 fatty acids.
If you really want to burn belly fat. Omega-3/Fish oil is highly recommended. It helps break down fat around the waistline. You can either take 6g of the supplement or eat salmon or mackerel twice a week. For a rapid result, I suggest you add chia seed to the mix. This seed is high in protein, calcium, antioxidant and it’s a good source of B vitamin.
- 6 g of fish oil
- Take 6g of fish oil daily to lose belly fat. Alternatively eat fishes like salmon, tuna, halibut or mackerel twice weekly.
A study at Institute for Human Nutrition at Columbia University, discovered that by adding hot ginger beverage to your diet will make you feel fuller, and you are less likely to eat more. Also just like exercise creates heat in the body, that helps you burn calories. Ginger also create the same internal heat that revs your metabolism. Ginger not only plays important role in weight management, gastrointestinal health, anti-inflammatory and detoxifying benefits as well. Ginger is calorie free and can be brewed as tea or used to prepare your meals. Lemon can also be added to ginger tea to speed up the effect.
- 2 inch of ginger
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 cups of water
- Pour an adequate amount of water into your teapot, leave the water to boil for a few minute and add your ginger to the hot water. Leave it to simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat afterwards. Add your lemon juice and honey to the tea pot and drink this every morning on an empty stomach
Chai seed is a better alternative for those who don’t like fish oil. It is rich in omega three fatty acid, but the body still need to do the work of converting the alpha – linolenic acid found in the seed to DHA or EPA. Chai seed is also rich in antioxidants, calcium, iron and other dietary fiber that can make you feel fuller.
Ways to use chia seeds:
- You can add chia seed into your smoothies, salads, breakfast cereals or yogurt.
- You can also use chai seed in soups and gravies as a thickening agent
I highly recommend daily intake of green tea if your goal is to lose weight. The active compound found in green tea can aid in weight loss by boosting the effect of some fat burning hormones. A particular study proves that drinking 4 cups of green tea daily will help you lose more than 6 pounds of weight within 8 weeks. Green tea contains an antioxidant known as EGCG which helps inhibit an enzyme that breaks down the hormone norepinephrine. This in turns increases the amount of norepinephrine. A hormone used by the nervous system to signal the fat cells to break down fat.
- 1 to 2 tsp of green tea or a tea bag
- Lemon juice
- 1 cup of hot water
- Mint/basil leaves
- Honey (Optional)
- Add the green tea and mint leaves to one cup of hot water and stir properly. Cover the mixture and allow it sit for at least 10 minutes. Strain out the liquid content and add lemon juice to it, you can also add honey if you like. Mix thoroughly and sip the tea. I recommend you take this tea 3-4 time daily
Abdominal fat is a huge problem area for many and the good news is that the consumption of cinnamon, helps burn fat especially in that region. Cinnamon imitate the activity of insulin in the body, which helps the body regulate its blood sugar level. Maintaining blood sugar level is very important for weight loss. Cinnamon also produces heat through metabolic situations, which helps you burn fat. Please note that cinnamon ground should be taken, not the bark oil. The bark oil may lead to ulcer, mouth sores and mouth burning when consumed.
- Coffee or Tea
- Breakfast Cereal
- Salads or Sauces
- Boiling water
- Always add ground cinnamon to your beverages.
- Use cinnamon to toast your muffins, by adding it on top of the muffin.
- Sprinkle grounded cinnamon on your salads, dips or sauces
- Alternatively add 2 teaspoon of cinnamon to boiling water, allow it to sit for about 10 minutes. Add a tea bag to it and drain the mixture afterward. Add honey to it and drink. Take this twice daily to prevent fat storage on your waistline.
This herbal treatment is very effective and I usually recommend this to my clients undergoing a juice fast programme. The component of this herbal cleanse are very effective for weight loss and I can guarantee you that this is one of the recipe that works best for burning belly fat. The ingredient are listed below.
Cucumber are low in calories and acts as a diuretic. They are also high in dietary fiber and water content, which helps flush out fat from the body, keeping the body in an alkaline state. Cucumbers are a perfect weight loss food.
A study was conducted in the Institute of Human Nutrition at Columbia University. Participants who drank hot beverage with ginger, felt fuller and had less chance of overeating. Ginger also create internal heat that revs your metabolism. A particular study proves that people who take ginger in their diet will lose about 20% more weight than people who don’t eat it.
Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which suppresses food cravings and helps the body eliminate waste products by cleansing and detoxifying the body. They are also alkaline forming and aids in blasting belly fat.
Mint suppresses your appetite and stop carvings. It also soothes the tummy after eating food.
Water is the essence of life. It keeps your body hydrated which helps activates the fat burning process. It also lubricate your joints and muscles during exercise and helps the blood to supply oxygen to the muscles.
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 inch pieces of ginger
- 10 Mint leaves
- 1 Lemon
- 2 liters of water
- Slice up all the ingredients and infuse then into water. Leave it to stay overnight. Drink the liquid content first thing in the morning in an empty stomach. Alternatively, juice them all together with a juicing machine. Do this daily to get complete relief from belly fat.
Yes, it’s true. Coconut oil can actually help you lose those unwanted fats. But definitely not by eating it. But by substituting it with other unhealthy fats. Unlike most other saturated fats coconut oil doesn’t get packed away as fat , rather it is sent straight to the liver to be metabolized, therefore giving you a boost in energy. This energy makes exercising easier, which in turn helps you to lose weight. It also acts as an appetite suppressant. Just by taking 2 teaspoon of coconut oil, you can greatly reduce your cravings. Coconut oil is also a thermogenic which means it heats up the body internally and helps burn fat. In a particular study conducted in reducing abdominal fat, some group of women were divided into two groups. One group where giving 2 teaspoons of coconut oil for a period of 28 days while the other group were given soybeans oil for the same amount of days. Both groups lost 2 pound but the group that was fed with coconut oil reduced their waist line while the other group had a mild increase on their belly fat.
How to use coconut oil to reduce belly fat
- Replace other oil you use daily with coconut oil. Please do minimize the intake of coconut oil to just 2 tablespoons a day. Incorporate a whole food diet to your lifestyle, along with coconut oil
It will surprise you that hot pepper can help you lose immense amount of belly fat. Hot pepper contains a compound known as capsaicin which boost your body’s heat production. Researchers from the University of California Los Angeles tested the compound capsaicin to see if it can actually burn fat by heating the body up. The result showed that, it caused an increased in calories burnt. When it is taken daily, it will greatly reduce abdominal fat and improve fat oxidation. Some pepper are definitely hotter than the others with Habanero pepper being at the top with the highest amount of capsaicin. Cayenne is also have a good amount of capsaicin which can greatly increase the fat burning process.
How to use Hot Pepper
- Include pepper: raw, cooked, dried or in powdered form into your soup
- Include habanero pepper or cayenne pepper in your diet to increase the fat burning process
Studies conducted by a group of researchers lead by Michelle Wien, Dr. P.H., R.D show that almonds helps in weight loss. Almond can help suppress your carvings which makes you feel fuller. Almond contain monounsaturated fat, protein, and fiber which also contribute to minimizing hunger pangs. Almond prevents fats and calories to be absorbed by your body. It contains oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, which helps decrease the body’s cholesterol levels. A particular study shows that people who ate at least an ounce of almond daily were found to have their LDL cholesterol level dramatically decreased, which lowers the risk of incurring heart-related conditions.
How to use almond
- Immense a handle full of almond in water and leave it overnight. Eat the soaked almond very early in the morning. Repeat this daily to get rid of stomach fat
- You can also include almond in your breakfast, or add them to your juices or smoothies. Another alternative is to simply chew a handful of almond daily. This should do the work.
Garlic is very potent when it comes to weight loss. Its major compound allicin has anti-bacterial effects and helps reduce unhealthy fat and cholesterol. Garlic also helps lower the level of LDL cholesterol and raise the HDL cholesterol in a short term. Several studies has proved that garlic is effective in preventing high blood pressure, treating diabetes, curing diarrhoea, lowering the risk of heart attacks and killing cancer cells. Garlic also stops your pre fat cells from converting into fat cell.
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup of water
- Chew 3 cloves of garlic and then drink the lemon water. If chewing the garlic is a problem for you, juicer the garlic together with the lemon and drink up
- Do this every morning on an empty stomach, you will start losing belly fat within 2 week’s time
Few points to not when deciding on foods to eat
Our uber-unhealthy lifestyle choices can greatly influence pot belly. Indulge yourself in good eating habit and good lifestyle choices. Below are a check list of thing we should bear in mind during our journey to blast belly fat:
- Do not eat any food that doesn’t grow in nature.
- Do not eat any food that your great grandmother cannot recognize as food
- Do not eat any food with TV commercials
- Avoid Foods That Contain Additives
Addictive’s are placed in food to increase their shelve life and to make food more appealing by enhancing their colour, texture or taste. Certain additives like aspartame are made synthetically. Additives simply add no nutritional value to a food products. While some additives can pose a threat to your health.
- Increase your Consumption of Raw Produce
The most healthful food are those that have being grown organically without the use of insecticides, herbicides or artificial fertilizers. When choosing your fruits and vegetable look for those that are at their peak of ripeness. They usually contains more vitamin and enzymes than the over-ripe or under-ripe. Most fruit and vegetable should be eaten in its entirety, since all their parts including the skin contains valuable nutrients, for example the watermelon and citrus. When eating the citrus remove the rinds but eat the white part because of its rich content in vitamin C and bioflavonoid content.
- Avoid Over Cooking Foods
Raw food have many advantages than the cooked ones, but obviously some food can’t be eaten in its raw state. When food are cooked to the point of browning or charring, the organic compound they contains undergo changes in structure, there by producing carcinogens. Endeavor to eat your vegetables raw. If that is much of a big deal for you, feel free to juice them or make a smoothie out of them.
- Use proper Cooking Utensils
When cooking, it is very important we use the right cookware, which includes glass, stainless steel or iron pots and pan. Do not use aluminium cookware or utensils. Aluminium produce a substance that neutralizes the digestive juices, leading to acidosis and ulcers. Sometimes the aluminium leach from the pot into the food. When the food is finally consumed the aluminium is absorbed by the body where it accumulates in the brain and nervous systems. Which can eventually lead to Alzheimer’s disease
- Limit your Use of Salt
Excess sodium intake can lead to fluid retention in the tissues. Which eventually leads to hypertension and can aggravate to many medical conditions, including congestive heart failure, certain form of kidney disease and premenstrual syndrome. The best way to reduce salt intake is to reduce the amount of junk food we consume, which is high in sodium.
- Cut the Junk
Try as much as possible to cut the junk food away from your diet. Those easy foods we can easily grab on the road. Foods like pizza, harm bugger, French fries, soda, meat pie and all forms of processed foods. Artificial sweeteners in this foods can greatly induce your body fat. Instead go for the natural easy snacks like cashew, almond and smoothies. These foods also have the same feeling effect and are healthier for your body and immune system
- Drink More Water
Drink as much water as you can throughout the day. Regular intake of water helps flush out toxins or wastes from the body while keeping it well hydrated. It improves active metabolism and your overall health. Drink at least 8 oz glass of water or 64 ounces of water per day to get needed benefits.
- Reduce your sugar level
Stick to only natural source of sugar (Fructose) which are complex carbohydrates. Your body can easily convert complex carbohydrates into sugar, which are beneficial to the body. The bad sugar comes from mostly processes carbohydrates from white breads and other forms of junk.
- Do not skip meals
Don’t starve yourself because you want to lose weight. Rather eat a proper balanced diet. Skipping meals will only make your body go into survival mode and start storing the food in form of fat. It’s important you have breakfast, lunch and dinner daily in your diet. But it’s best to have short in between meals than 3 big meals.
- Increase intake of Omega -3 Fatty Acid
Food like salmon and tuna are high in omega -3 fatty acids, which can help you lose belly fat.
- Increase intake of Vitamin C
Food like lemon, organs, kiwi, strawberries are rich in vitamin C, which helps burn abdominal fat. Making you look slim, fit and healthy.
- Eat Fiber Rich Foods
Fiber are classified into two soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber dissolve into gel-like texture, helping your digestion to slow down. This makes you feel full, which greatly helps for weight management. Soluble fiber can be derived from foods like cucumber, blueberries, beans and nuts. While Insoluble fiber helps food move through your digestive tract more quickly for healthy elimination. Insoluble fiber can be found in foods like dark green leafy vegetable, green beans, celery and carrots.
Exercise to lose belly fat
Loosing stomach fat is more of 80% of what you eat and 20% of exercise. To tighten you core you need to incorporate an exercise reign. If you keep to most of the remedies above and you don’t exercise, you will experience very little success. So bear in mind that adequate exercise is very paramount.
- Full Body Workout: To lose belly fat, don’t just target the belly, it’s imperative you exercise the whole body and target the whole muscle in your body. You can’t burn fat in one area of the body and leave the other. When you lose weight the whole body will return to a proportional state
- Do more of cardio workout: Exercises like walking, jogging, cycling and running helps increase your body’s capacity to burn more calories
- Do more Abdominal Workouts: There some type of exercises that target your abs mostly and strengthen the core. Exercise like Abdominal Crunches. You should consider doing more of those kind of exercise too, no matter how hard it may seem at first.
- Do strength training: Strength training is also helpful if you want to get that sculpt physique. It helps build your muscle tone and helps get rid of overall fat