I had Epsom salt in my kitchen for close to a year with knowing the immense benefits it holds. The sad part was that there was a period I suffered severe muscle pain. I visited the hospital to seek medical solutions and ended up with drugs prescriptions, which cost me a fortune. A month later I discovered that having an Epson salt bath was a better alternative, and I had it all along in my kitchen. Epsom salt is made up of naturally occurring minerals, magnesium, and sulphate. These minerals help in numerous ways, like flushing toxins from the body, sedating the nervous system, reducing swelling, and relaxing the muscles.
Magnesium regulates the activity of more than 300 enzymes in the body, and the lack of it may lead to blood pressure, hyperactivity, heart problems, and other health issues. Here is a link to the brand I use
Below are the amazing uses of Epson Salt Epson salt.
Take a nice relaxing Epson Salt bath after a hard day’s work.
- Boy, there’s nothing relaxing like taking a relaxing bath with Epsom salt after a hectic day. Perhaps this is one of the best uses of Epson salt. The magnesium relieves minor aches and pains. Studies also show that magnesium and sulphate are easily absorbed through the skin. Sulphates play an important role in the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins, and the proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. To do this, simply pour a cup of Epson salt into your warm bath, let it dissolve, then immerse yourself deep inside. This is the perfect home spa treatment.Below are the health benefits:
- Having an Epson bath helps improve heart and circulatory health, reduces blot clots, reduces irregular heartbeat, and lowers blood pressure.
- Having an Epson bath helps flush toxins from your cells, and also helps to ease body pain while eliminating harmful substances from the body.
- It also helps reduce inflammation to relieve muscle cramps and pain.
- Since Epson Salt is rich in magnesium, it helps maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Since magnesium is a natural stress reliever, it helps bind adequate amounts of serotonin, which is well known for its role in the brain, where it plays a major part in mood, anxiety, and happiness.
- It also helps improve oxygen use and absorption of nutrients.
- It also helps improve formation of joint proteins, mucin proteins, and brain tissues
Whenever I’m hit with a migraine headache, an Epson bath is a must go-to remedy as it has a way of soothing the headache.
Foot soak / pedicure
- Epson salt makes for an invigorating foot soak. I use it to remove odours and soften my feet. To do this simply add ½ cups of Epson salt to a large bucket of water and soak your feet for as long as you want. Then rinse and pat dry.
Soak sprains and bruises
- It will amaze you that Epson salt can also be used to soothe swelling and bruises. Simply start by adding 2 cups of Epson salt into a warm bath and soak yourself.
- I read in a book that one of the best natural supplements one can take to relieve constipation is magnesium. Since Epson Salt is rich in magnesium it makes sense for it to do the job fine. I know what’s going on in your mind now! “Have I tried it?” Yes, I have, and it worked. Simply start by dissolving a teaspoon in a glass of water and drink up – this should soften your stools.
- Epson salt is a lifesaver and always good to have in the house. I can remember vividly on a certain occasion when I over-indulged in alcohol, I was so messed up that I needed to snap out of it as soon as possible because I had another important engagement. A glass of diluted Epson salt saved the day. This was made possible because Epson salt contains sulphates, which help break down toxins and flush them out faster. But do note that this remedy calls for drinking a lot of water.
- Epson salt also serves as a good face cleanser. To use in this department, simply mix half a teaspoon of Epson salt with your regular cleansing cream and massage onto the skin. Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- You can also use Epson salt to exfoliate your skin. Start by massaging a handful of Epson salt over your wet skin. I suggest you start with your feet all the way to your face. Have your normal bath afterward.
Remove excess oil from hair
- This is one thing baking soda and Epson salt have in common – the ability to soak out the excess oil from your hair. To do this, simply add 9 tablespoons of Epson salt to ½ cup of your hair shampoo. Proceed to apply just 1 tablespoon of to your hair, let it sit for a while, then rinse. You can take this further by pouring lemon juice onto your hair, leave for about 10 minutes, and then rinse off.
- To remove hairspray, create a mixture of 1 cup Epson salt, 1 cup of lemon juice, and one bowl of water. Leave the mixture for about 24 hours then pour the mixture into dry hair and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
To add extra volume to your hair, combine equal parts of deep conditioner and Epson salt together. Heat this mixture until it’s warm enough, then apply the warm mixture to your hair and leave on your hair for about 20 minutes before rinsing off.
It will amaze you that Epson salt also helps with the eyes too. To ward off eye defects such as cataracts, conjunctivitis, or sties, dissolve a small portion of Epson salt in water and use it as an eyewash. Alternatively, you can apply it on a white towel and use it as a warm compress.
Relieve minor irritation
To remedy mosquito bites, bee stings, mild sunburn, poison ivy, and other minor irritations start by making a cold compress by soaking a washcloth in cold water that has been mixed with Epson salt. Gently apply to the affected areas.
The magnesium content of Epson salt helps combats inflammation, which helps decrease swelling as well as relieving pain. Simply pour some Epson salt into your hot bath and soak the affected joints.
Blackheads appear on the skin, usually the face, and it’s when the pores of the skin become blocked. Blackheads can be very annoying and irritating to live with. When squeezed they spread rapidly and mostly can’t be left lying around. They don’t just look good. I discovered a way to get rid of this pesky skin condition. Start by mixing a teaspoon of Epson salt with three drops of liquid iodine and half a cup of boiling water. Leave this concoction to cool down, then dab it onto the blackheads with a cotton wool bud. Repeat this severally until the blackheads come off. Follow this up with astringent.
Make grass greener
As a young boy, I was curious seeing my mum spread a gallon of diluted Epson salt on our lawn, even though I didn’t know the purpose of her doing so, but I didn’t hesitate to ask why. She smiled at me while patting my hair and said, “You see how green our lawn is… have you ever wondered why?” At that moment it dawned on me that the salt water was responsible for making the grass greener. This is because Epson salt adds the needed magnesium and iron to your soil. To try this for yourself, simply, add 2 teaspoons to one gallon and spread it over your lawn with a garden sprayer.
Epson salt can also be used in lawns and gardens to get rid of plant pests naturally. Simply spray the salt water all over your garden.
If you grow roses this tip is for you. For faster growth, add a tablespoon of Epson salt every week to the soil around the rose bushes before watering.
Bigger, better, and more produce
Using Epson salt on your farm can lead to bigger, better, and more produce. I can still vividly recall how granny mixed 1 teaspoon of Epson salt in a gallon of water. Using a garden sprayer, she then sprayed it over her peppers, tomatoes, and blooms, which usually results in bigger yields.
Get rid of raccoons
Annoying bandits! Are you tired of seeing these annoying guys that eat just about anything and loiter around everywhere? Simply take a few tablespoons of Epson salt and spread it around your cans. This should keep these pesky guys in check as they don’t like the smell.
Clean bathroom tiles
Cleaning your bathroom tiles with the usually ordinary soap and detergent won’t give you that sparkling look. To eliminate those stubborn stains that won’t come off, mix an equal part of Epson salt with your liquid soap, then dab it onto the stubborn stain and scrub. Trust me, this will do the job just fine.
Remove burnt food from pot and pans
There is no chore as tedious as trying to remove burnt food from pots and pans. Sometimes it just won’t come off and you have to live with it. But with Epsom salt, it comes off effortlessly. Simply scrub your pan with a ¼ tablespoon of Epsom salt and warm water. This does the job pretty well.
Regenerate your car battery
This is one of the reasons I love to leave Epson salt in my vehicle trunk. You can give your car battery a little more life by dissolving an ounce of Epson salt in warm water to create a paste. Add the paste to each battery cell and watch the magic happen.
Help kids sleep better
To help your kids sleep better, start by adding a cup to your kid’s bath before bed. This will help your child sleep peacefully.
Get rid of slugs
Do you have slugs in your garden or on your patio? Sprinkle Epson salt to deter them.
Sore muscles and splinters
To treat sore muscles and splinters, start by making a cold compress by soaking a cotton washcloth in cold water that has been mixed with Epson salt. Apply a compress to the affected areas. Alternatively, create a paste of Epson salt by adding a teaspoon to a reasonable amount hot water and stir until it dissolves, then chill the solution by putting it in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Clean the skin and apply the paste on the affected area.